RE: Way Forward

2000-08-02 16:39:01
As backward compatability is only an issue between versions of S/MIME. Would
a compromise be for CMS to keep to the existing mandatory algorithms as
specified in RFC 2630 (DH/DSA), but in the message specification RFC 2633
also mandate support for RSA, for backward compatinility reasons with S/MIME
v2.

I know this means that both sets of algorithms have to be implemented in
S/MIME, but is that really a big problem.

Regards
John Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smime(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Aram Perez
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 10:12 PM
To: ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Way Forward

Hi Russ,

[snip]

All:

As chairman, I am trying to figure out the consensus of the  work
group.  If everyone has enough information from this thread,
then I would
like to hear from folks that have an opinion but have not spoken up yet.

My 2 centavos are: Keep PKCS#1.5 with appropriate notification on
the known
attack(s) and recommended procedures to minimize their effect. As you
stated, there is already reference to OAEP for future versions.

Regards,
Aram Perez

[snip]