Re: cmsalg-02 RSA OID Proposal

2001-09-11 07:58:19

John,

The Netscape Communicator S/MIME (CMS) implementation expects the
rsaEncryption OID in the digest encryption algorithm field.  Since this
implementation was proven to interoperate (at one point) with the
Microsoft version, I suspect that both Netscape and Microsoft products
also generated messages with this OID value.

I suggest that we recommend that when CMS is used for email message
protection, and the CMS format is otherwise compatible with the v2
format (no new recipient formats, etc), the rsaEncryption OID should be
used.  Implementations should continue to accept the rsaEncryption value
for incoming messages.

Terry Hayes
thayes(_at_)netscape(_dot_)com