Re: List of ESMTP extensions

1998-04-13 08:01:36
At 06:47 PM 4/10/98 -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
See http://pobox.com/~djb/surveys/smtpextensions.txt. You missed ONEX,
VERB, and VRFY. There are also lots of X extensions that should be
documented.

CAPABILITIES|draft-ietf-fax-smtp-capabilities|Finding out server
capabilities

I continue to be amazed at this proposal. Previous commentary:

: CAPS has surpassed ETRN in the ``Most absurd use of port 25'' contest.
:
: Has anyone informed the authors that store-and-forward mail systems do
: not provide an online end-to-end link from the receiver to the sender?

Well, seeing as we are supposed to be writing software so that people
can use it, and there is and was a need to support transient connections
that wanted SMTP access, I dont think 'absurd' should be applied to ETRN.

However, seeing as everytime I have tried to check one of Dan's web pages
(with the plethora of information that is supposed to be stored there) and
I get an extended error and no web pages back from the server, I really
dont put much faith in those opinions.

regards,
Jack
Jack De Winter - Wildbear Consulting, Inc.
(519) 884-4498          http://www.wildbear.on.ca/jacks/