Re: compressed content-transfer-encoding?

1999-07-31 06:01:21
moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu (Keith Moore)  wrote on 30.07.99 in
<199907301947(_dot_)PAA13941(_at_)astro(_dot_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>:

My definition of a standard is "a common format or protocols
used by many different interworking products from different
vendors".

even so, I don't think zip qualifies.  it's common, but
certainly not ubiquitous, and it's mostly used on a single
vendor's platforms.

Well, it's difficult finding a platform zip has not been ported to. OTOH,
I have no idea how widespread MIME support for application/zip is.

As a data point, it's in my /etc/mime.types (and, incidentally, /etc/mime-
magic). That's a Debian/GNU Linux system.

And ISTR that the first commercial vendor to ship their OS with an
unzipping lib was IBM (OS/2), and that M$ has still not done so.

MfG Kai