Re: compressed content-transfer-encoding?

1999-08-01 10:21:31
kaih(_at_)khms(_dot_)westfalen(_dot_)de (Kai Henningsen)
I don't know about you, but in my experience, modem compression (and
similar schemes) typically does a fairly poor job.

There's a fairly simple reason. This type of compression must keep
latencies from growing too much. This *really* hurts compression.

I see what you mean.  However, PPP compression (RFC 1962) should not
have this problem, since the additional time taken to start sending
each packet should be more than offset by the decrease in transmission
time.

--Arnt