Re: compressed content-transfer-encoding?

1999-08-01 12:10:41
At 12.02 -0400 99-07-31, Keith Moore wrote:
Even though application/zip is lame, other mechanisms might be
worse. Maybe we should look harder at providing what would be
necessary to make 'application/zip' actually work, e.g., some
top-level indication of what's actually in the package?

this has the same deployment barrier as adding a new
content-transfer-encoding - in either case the mime mail
reader needs to know what to do with the extra parameter
or the new c-t-e.

No, it has one very important advantage: It will co-work,
with existing software using application/zip, in the way
people are already accustomed to sending and receiving
compressed e-mail in that format.

it will co-work with existing software that most people don't
have, in the way that a small minority of people are already
accustomed to working.  the vast majority of people will have
to either install new software or learn how to cope with
zip files, or both.  as long as people have to install new
software, why not have them install a new MIME mail reader?

saying that people are already accustomed to using zip is a
lot like saying that AOL comes with built-in MIME support.