Re: compressed content-transfer-encoding?

1999-08-01 11:53:19
At 12.02 -0400 99-07-31, Keith Moore wrote:
> Even though application/zip is lame, other mechanisms might be
> worse. Maybe we should look harder at providing what would be
> necessary to make 'application/zip' actually work, e.g., some
> top-level indication of what's actually in the package?

this has the same deployment barrier as adding a new
content-transfer-encoding - in either case the mime mail
reader needs to know what to do with the extra parameter
or the new c-t-e.

No, it has one very important advantage: It will co-work,
with existing software using application/zip, in the way
people are already accustomed to sending and receiving
compressed e-mail in that format.