Re: Review needed

2000-08-15 06:29:28
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:53:00 EDT, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>  said:
but yes, it seems like the sort of thing that would mostly benefit
spammers.

to run the ietf-smtp mailing list.

Virginia Tech runs a rather large Listserv site (one of the top 10 in the
world based on numbers of lists), and there's a large number of things that
Listserv currently can't do very well due to the requirement that you either
have to send one identical message to *all* the recipients, or go through
an entire MAIL FROM/RCPT TO for each individual recipient.

Just yesterday on the Listserv Manager's mailing list, there was a request to
be able to add a footer to each mail (which Listserv supports), but have it
contain the address the recipient was subscribed from (which can't be done
due to the identical-message issue).  If Listserv were able to send out
an *almost* identical message to all the receivers, but be able to stash
something unique in the message body or RFC822 headers for each recipient,
it would make debugging things like "I can't unsubscribe because my old
address is forwarded tomy new one and I can't REMEMBER my old one" a lot
easier to debug".  And we get a lot more of those problems than you'd believe.,

This note is to be taken as support of the *CONCEPT* of slightly differing
messages - I have *NOT* read the draft yet, and am NOT saying it's a good
implementation.  I'll be reading the draft hopefully later today....
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst