Re: Internet Draft for flexible proxying of the mail protocols

2000-09-28 08:24:13
Hi.

[I have CC'd ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org, as it may be a slightly more
appropriate
list.]

This puts the onus on the client to know its server.  There are other
protocols which solve this problem at various levels such as ACAP, LDAP,
and DNS SRV records.

For SMTP, the problem is solved with MX records.

For POP, the protocol is arguably dying in favor of IMAP4.

For IMAP4, have you considered RFC2193, which appears to already provide a
mechanism for the behavior you desire?

-Dan Wing