Re: SMTP QoS

2001-07-08 19:00:55

On 7/8/01 at 2:55 PM -0400, Dave Crocker wrote:

At 12:54 PM 7/7/2001, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Tools first. Then services.

Not quite.  What you are saying is syntax first.  Then semantics.

Nonsense. Your just making a straw man argument. Service != semantics. Service == infrastructure. What you do is define syntax and semantics and then let the infrastructure that is required for wide deployment be built later.

No doubt I'm wrong. Please provide some examples of Internet standards that have been defined in this way and that have succeeded.

MX records (cf: routing mail into firewalled domains).
SASL
DSNs (for mailing list management)
BEEP/APEX

I can come up with more if you need. We *constantly* come up with ideas in the IETF, document syntax and semantics, and wait for the infrastructure to catch up and figure out how to make it work well on the net.

Dave, I think you're just way off base here, and knocking over strawmen isn't helping your credibility.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102