Re: SMTP QoS

2001-07-04 23:19:40

Howdy,

Having thoroughly overdosed on fireworks, and trying to focus on the substantial issues, and being surprised how many there are...

I.      LACK OF SEMANTICS

At 03:07 PM 7/1/2001, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
Now, none of this implies that priority cannot be carried in a header.

        Perhaps the most basic issue is that the specification
        is standardized syntax, without any standardized
        semantics.

        The specification says that each MTA can do whatever it
        feels like with the message.

How can we possibly expect any sort of Internet-wide useful service out of this?

-----

II.     LIKELIHOOD OF ABUSE

The past experience you have been citing pertains to LOWER priority.  That
is quite different from one which includes HIGHER priority.

Only one instance of past experience pertains to LOWER priority. Other
instances pertain to higher priority, and there has been no indication of
substantial abuse.

I apologize for misunderstanding the examples you were citing. Worse, I am astonished to hear that Internet mail has been functioning with a mechanism -- even a non-standard one -- that would permit me to specify increased handling priority.

The fact of that ignorance prompts me to suggest that the reason we do not have a track record of abuse for this feature is because the general population of users does not know about it. I am, of course, stating that explanation vastly more tentatively than I believe it.

  As I noted, we have well
seen that the Internet is now under the strong influence of selfish
actors. They do not participate as good neighbors.

One more time: Past experience directly contradicts this (IMO overly
simplistic) assessment.

Alas, I wish that this were simplistic or, at least, just a matter of my own opinion. And since it has been 25 years since I made a habit or reading the relevant research literature, I can't counter your disbelief with a mass of citation. Somehow I suspect that assuring you the citations are there won't be convincing either...

Just for fun, I did a single sample query of a Cognitive Psych PhD and they could not quite believe that anyone would assert that this sort of mechanism (zero cost to the requester) would not be abused.

The fact is, however, that the Internet today sees a considerable amount of abusive behavior. Some is intentional and some is through ignorance. Either way, a mechanism that is open, cost-free, and might have substantial benefit for the user WILL get used.

And abused.

It will get used excessively by some percentage of the population. Will it get used enough to undermine the global mechanism? (And remember that this particular mechanism has no solid specification of semantics, so the freedom of choice by each relay is particularly large.)

I claim yes.

And I claim that we have more than enough history with email abuse to substantiate that belief.

anything that stands out, like a flood of mail from a single source all marked priority urgent, is a sign of spam and is likely to be used as a means of filtering mail.

The flood is the warning.  The priority is not.

In fact we all frequently see postal direct marketing folks emulate priority packaging, as a scam to get you to look at the contents. Why do you believe that won't happen with email?

Priority labelling used as a honeypot, in other words. But unlike you, I doubt they are that stupid.

Sorry, but spammers are but one example of folks who will abuse the mechanism.

An open, cost-free mechanism that provides better service provides an inherent incentive for over-use. The psychology of this point is not even slightly controversial because the incentives are far too clear. And over-use will destroy the benefit.

-----

III.    TRANSPORT PRIORITY AS SMTP OPTION

However, this discussion does lead me to conclude that priority is best done as
an SMTP extension.

Given that the goal is transport handling I entirely agree.

(In case it has been looking as if I am against having any mechanism, let me try to be clear that I think having one is essential. The rest of the communications world has priority mechanisms, so we need them in email too. Business use demands it. My concern is that we specify something that will work.)

-----

IV.     DEPLOYMENT OF INTER-OPERATOR SMTP AUTH

> > 2.  References to usage of SMTP Auth with this option are confusing,
> >     since it is used for posting, not relaying.  I'd appreciate

>   SMTP AUTH not only provides facility for posting, it also
> provides facilities for relaying authentication credentials.

Do you really expect that relaying across the
open Internet will require use of SMTP Auth?  In which century?

Nobody said anything about requiring it for relaying across the open Internet.
Using it as means of facilitating the use of extensions like priority
is another matter.

This is getting confusing. You don't like my use of the word "require" yet you accept that use of Auth for "facilitating" a priority extension.

If the priority extension is to be seriously useful -- and for Internet mail to satisfy business requirements, it does need to be -- you claim that the Auth mechanism will enable, facilitate or otherwise be relevant to creating that utility, then I claim it will need to be Internet-wide.

(Can you only send FedEx to places with which you have made a prior arrangement? Bi-lateral agreements are a good way to start, but they don't scale, of course.)

My point, therefore, is that wide-scale, inter-organization use of security has been essentially non-existent for anything except SSL, and then only for privacy, not authentication. That makes it highly problematic to specify a facility that relies on inter-group authentication. (The current proposal does not do that; but your argument seems to rely on it.)

I'm going to turn one of your own arguments back on you here. You like making
analogies to lower layers.

Ned, this is worth being clear about: my use of lower layers is not for "analogies". I like looking to the history of lower layers engineering because it so often points up issues and approaches to solutions for the transport aspects of email. Both are packet switching. Vast differences, yes, but core similarities.

Staying on the high protocol ground, EDI provides an interesting tidbit of relevant experience: Here we have a service that is commercial messaging. In fact, it does have QoS.

But only within single providers.

No QoS guarantees between providers. And that was with customers willing to pay remarkable premiums for good service.

Well, one of the things that happens all the time is
private bilateral agreements between service providers to provide improved QoS

In fact, bilateral agreements are the essence of the public international phone service and have always been the essence of the public, commercial Internet. No ISP is ever forced to peer with another. And peering is a bilateral action.

But your point is, of course, about TAILORING the service on a bilateral basis. And it's just fine that a) it happens, and b) the terms are kept private.

However, note that we still do not have a way to specify QoS at the lower layers and that all efforts to provide that capability over the last 30 years have failed.

With luck, the experience with private arrangements is providing useful input to the IPv6 QoS work. Otherwise, the v6 effort will suffer the same likelihood of being a theoretical, inadequately specified service that does not match real needs.

Just like this proposal for email.

At present there's no reason to do anything similar based on SMTP AUTH because there aren't any facilities tied to its use. But if there were, who's to say it would not happen?

Again I am thoroughly confused. This hypothetical, future, inter-provider use of SMTP Auth is entirely independent of the proposal under discussion. If not, then where does it appear in the specification?

If my request for special handling (priority) carries no expectation of
what actual handling will take place, then the option is entirely
useless.  If it does correlate with actual handling, then I had better have
better knowledge about the delivery behavior of my message than I had
without the option.  That constitutes increased predictability.  That is
what quality of service work is about.

And actual experience disproves this line of reasoning completely. People will
use such facilities even without even a scintilla of evidence of their
efficacy.

Huh?  So the spammers will use it whether it works or not.

But you believe that regular users will regularly and differentially use a feature, even if they have no idea whether it does any good? Is this supposed to be a cargo cult explanation of system use? They saw an email once get delivered and it had a priority bit set. So they keep setting the bit hoping that, someday, their own email will get delivered quicker?

This is why I find the arguments made in the FAX WG relating to the
unreliable nature of MDNs to be unpersuasive

And I'll gladly swap bar wg anecdotes about the variable and creative ways people analyze protocol behavior and use, in the Fax wg and elsewhere. However I'm unclear how to apply your point to the current discussion.

Please remember that my highest-order concern is in fact the first major section in this note: no standardized semantics.

-----

V.      INTRANET

> > 4.      The IETF does not do intranet standards.

> Actually, the IETF does intranet standards all the time. This is especially

No, what we conclude is that the notion of the IETF not doing intranet
standards is complete hooey now and always has been.

Though probably frustrating, this exchange has actually been pretty useful.

It is clear that the oft-uttered claim "the IETF does not do protocols for intranets" is entirely the wrong wording. And it is clear that small attempts at more precise wording, such as my earlier comment:

It is about being limited to an operational infrastructure that has significant dependence on a single, coherent administrative control.

Is equally inadequate. The reference to 'infrastructure' was trying to distinguish between end-point behavior vs. intermediaries.

I am now suspecting that the whole point hinges on the IETF protocols having a) universal semantics, and b) data transfer performance characteristics that must work over the Internet as well as intranets.

Media-specific tailorings, such as ARP and DHCP using a broadcast mechanism, clearly do not work over the Big I. However neither do they have different semantics from one intranet to another.

Bilateral agreement on semantics is an EDI speciality. It's not the soup the IETF stirs. Yet is is, in reality, the stock of the current proposal.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464