Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-03 16:51:51

Edmon Chung <edmon(_at_)neteka(_dot_)com> writes:

If I understand MIME correctly, even "alternate sections" are allowed.
How is that permitted and not a UTF8 name?

multipart/alternative is one of the most politically controversial
portions of all of MIME and despite the (fairly justifiable, IMO) reasons
why it was put into the spec, probably set back adoption of MIME on Usenet
by about two years all by itself.  Even to this day, there's a completely
irrational but fairly widespread hatred of MIME in the NNTP community
because it's associated with or even considered equivalent to messages
containing tons of unreadable trash bloated to three times their original
size.

(People are slowly coming around, as more and more people point out that
this isn't even a problem with MIME but with some catastrophically bad
decisions made by certain implementations, but given how many problems it
caused on Usenet I can understand why people are gunshy.)

It's not really the example you want to emulate unless you have no other
choice.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>