Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-04 10:45:31

--On 2002-04-04 11.21 -0600 "Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> wrote:

To bring this back on-topic, I'm really beginning to believe that the
ultimate final solution to the SMTP problem will be a new message format,
where the headers are defined as UTF-8 from the start, in conformance with
the IAB guidelines. Rather than having headers co-exist, downgrade the new
message format whenever legacy systems and mailboxes are encountered.

I might agree with this, but, my point with path [B] is that if/when this
is happening it can happen independently of what encoding is used in the
DNS (and other) protocols.

According to path [A], all protocols need to change at the same time.

  paf