Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

2002-04-04 10:49:51

This mail of mine doesn't make sense. I should not write email while being
on conference calls.

Sorry.

  paf

--On 2002-04-04 19.42 +0200 Patrik Fältström <paf(_at_)Cisco(_dot_)COM> wrote:

--On 2002-04-04 11.21 -0600 "Eric A. Hall" <ehall(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com> wrote:

To bring this back on-topic, I'm really beginning to believe that the
ultimate final solution to the SMTP problem will be a new message format,
where the headers are defined as UTF-8 from the start, in conformance
with the IAB guidelines. Rather than having headers co-exist, downgrade
the new message format whenever legacy systems and mailboxes are
encountered.

I might agree with this, but, my point with path [B] is that if/when this
is happening it can happen independently of what encoding is used in the
DNS (and other) protocols.

According to path [A], all protocols need to change at the same time.

  paf