Re: Comments (II) on draft-church-dns-mail-sender-02.txt

2002-08-28 20:58:04

Hello:

Thank you for your reply.

Andrew Church wrote:

     As I said before in private mail, my goal is not to avoid modification
of the headers en route (though I agree that's not a bad idea), but to
ensure that the original sender doesn't give a false sender address.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-church-dns-mail-sender-02.txt

In section 3.2:
   "which the sending MTA would encrypt with its private key;"

In section 3.4:
   "as long as the relay MTA can properly respond to an MS challenge for
    the domain, the sender address will be accepted."

May I know, how a proper relay MTA (e.g. mailing list, bounce, forward)
is able answer a MS challenge without having access to the private key?

My interest is actually not about "avoiding modification", but about
how to prevent abuses of a domain address. I believe, that there is a
need for a STUB to be included in an email message.

regards,

--
Rahmat M.  Samik-Ibrahim -- vLSM.org  -- http://rms46.vLSM.org --
Wise men say:Can't Help Falling in Linux with GNU - LILO and GRUB