Re: Comments (II) on draft-church-dns-mail-sender-02.txt

2002-08-29 22:36:11

I already have enough trouble with over-paranoid mail system admins.

so do I.  which is why I don't want mail being filtered just because
I happen to send mail from a dialup account (or my palm pilot)
with my normal return address.

     Which is why I decided to go with a challenge/response instead of
hostnames.  Didn't we already cover this once?

the mail standards specifically allow the sender to alter the From address,

     I'll accept that; even the draft points out that controlling From
probably isn't feasible, regardless of desirability.

and you really want return-path / MAIL FROM to point to the place where
the sender will get the nondelivery reports resulting from mail that he
sends.  (list mail excepted)

     This, I think, is inappropriate.  If you want a header for indicating
where non-delivery reports should go, add one; that also gives you the
ability to have errors go to more than one place (whether that's desirable
or not is a separate question).  CS researchers 25 years ago may have had
no problems with sending each other joke mails with fake addresses, but
that's not a reasonable attitude to take today.  There needs to be _some_
way to determine the real sender of a message, at least to domain level if
not farther, and I think it's pretty obvious that Received headers aren't
doing the trick.  I don't claim that my suggestion is a panacea either, but
I do think it's a good start.

  --Andrew Church
    achurch(_at_)achurch(_dot_)org
    http://achurch.org/