Re: Last Call: 'ESMTP and LMTP Transmission Types Registration' to Proposed Standard (fwd)

2003-11-13 16:35:50

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com writes:
Messing with the syntax is a really bad idea IMO. I understand that there is some discomfort in embedding information in tokens like this, but it has the feature that it beats the alternatives.

And the feature of production code.

I might feel differently if I felt this was going to turn into a completely open-ended thing. But I see little chance of our adding additional orthogonal security facilities to SMTP in the future. What you see is all there is.

Sure?

If Submit warrants adding two/four more tokens (see private mail from Chris), clearly extensions other than security facilities can add tokens.

I do hope there won't be more of these tokens, but I won't be surprised if future i-d authors have very fertile imagination. The designers of RMX, DMP and SPF spring to mind.

--Arnt