Re: Submitting new SMTP related RFC drafts

2004-01-12 21:42:15

Hector,

I would add one thing to Valdis's helpful observations below...

The text in the last two paragraphs of section 2.2.1 of RFC 2821:

        SMTP's strength comes primarily from its simplicity.
        Experience with many protocols has shown that protocols
        with few options tend towards ubiquity, whereas
        protocols with many options tend towards obscurity.

        Each and every extension, regardless of its benefits,
        must be carefully scrutinized with respect to its
        implementation, deployment, and interoperability costs.
        In many cases, the cost of extending the SMTP service
        will likely outweigh the benefit.

Is usually taken quite seriously. So you should not be surprised if some of the responses to an otherwise-good suggestion take the form of "that might help you, but most of the Internet doesn't need it, so it isn't worth the clutter in the protocol".

regards,
   john