Re: Last Call: 'A No Soliciting SMTP Service Extension' to Proposed Standard

2004-01-28 15:10:05

--On 28. januar 2004 18:27 +0100 Arnt Gulbrandsen
<arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote:

Keith Moore writes:
 Btw, I also suggest sticking in some text noting that supporting
 SOLICIT as server does not require supporting it as SMTP client.

what purpose would that server, other than discourage servers from
relaying SOLICIT parameters?

I'm just tired of hearing variations of "PIPELINING is hard to implement".

so what you mean is that a client connecting to a SOLICIT server doesn't
have to do anything special - in particular, doesn't have to parse the
SOLICIT EHLO response unless it wants to send SOLICIT-flagged mail?

makes sense to me.

Hi Harald -

You are correct.  We are *not* requiring the use of this extension
at any time.  We are only saying "if you are using this extension, here is
how it should operate."

Regards,

Carl