Re: Best practices to avoid virus and spam

2004-02-11 20:46:26

1. Always check for virus/spam before checking for valid reciepient, or
whether the mailbox is full or some such.

Why? Even if SMTP made it easy to do this (it doesn't), offhand it seems better to perform the easiest and/or more reliable checks first. It's very difficult to be sure that a message is spam - the same message can be spam for one recipient and valid for another. However the authoritative MX for a domain ought to be able to tell whether an recipient address from that domain is valid. And to me it makes more sense to reject a message for a reliable reason (like, this recipient address is not valid) than for an unreliable reason (like, we think this is spam).

2. Generate a specific error message, maybe we should introduce a
standard error code for this, like 551 - mail rejected as virus or spam.

3. If the mail is virus or spam, then do not send it back to the
sender - as this is most likely a forged address anyway. Discard it
instead.  But if you must, then use the standard error mesaage as
described above.

I see no need to define a new SMTP reply code - an enhanced status code should suffice. Especially since, as you point out, when the SMTP server does believe that the message is spam, bouncing the message is usually the wrong thing to do anyway.

I think with this scheme, we would have avoided alomost all of the
virus/spam and also annoying error traffic .

No need for new protocols, closed networks etc. Maybe a need for some
RBL listing virus/spam infected machines, I don't know.

Third-party RBLs are a really, really, really bad idea. They should be categorized as Worst Practices.

There might be some cases where the _authoritative_ DNS zone for a MAIL FROM domain or the _authoritative_ DNS zone for the source IP address of an SMTP connection says "messages that look like this are not authorized". And in some of those cases the SMTP server might be able to tell that a message "looks like this" from just MAIL FROM and/or RCPT TO. In those cases it _might_ make sense for the SMTP server to return 2xx in response to those commands (if they are otherwise valid) just so that it can black-hole the message. Though I think it might make even more sense to return 4xx in response to those commands - or just stop responding to that connection - and then refuse to accept any new connections from that source IP for some period of time. The rationale here is that the SMTP server doesn't want to waste bandwidth or cpu cycles by sucking down a message that's going to be discarded anyway, and it does want to avoid being interrupted by a compromised machine or spammer's machine if it tries again later.