Re: MS vs. pop and imap (alternate response)

2004-05-30 10:36:57

Folks,

DC> That said, it seems worth pursuing a bit further.

Oh, the benefits of futher, shower-based cogitation...

It occurs to me that this might be one of those times that are helped by
talking implementation and configuration details, rather than being
distracted by them.

1. How do we model the components and downstream interactions of srv1
and pc1:

      MTA

  +--<srv1>--+
  |          |
  | messages |
  |          |
  +----------+

      <pc1>

  pc1 does not retain any messages. Repeated readings of the same
  message require repeated retrievals from srv1.

2. How do we model the components and downstream interactions of srv2
and pc2:

      MTA

  +--<srv1>--+
  |          |
  | messages |
  |          |

  | messages |

  Messages are retained on pc1 and not on srv1.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>