Re: Internet Mail Architecture draft

2004-05-17 15:49:20

I skimmed the beginning of the draft.

Section 2.2:
  > A name usually maps to an IP Address.
should be:
  > A name usually maps to one or more IP addresses.

In section 3.1.3/3.1.4 you should mention LMTP (RFC 2033) as a protocol often
used between an MTA and MDA.  It's particularly useful because it eliminates
the need for a message queue on the MDA which reduces the administrative cost
and improves the scalability of an Internet messaging system.

The architecture needs a "Message Store" piece.  The MDA delivers messages into
the message store, while POP/IMAP transfer messages from the message store to
the rMUA.

You also need to reference Sieve (RFC 3028) which is the standard language the
IETF has to describe the operation of the MDA (it can also be used by the
rMUA).  procmail is also frequently used to control the MDA.

                - Chris