Re: MS vs. pop and imap (alternate response)

2004-05-30 11:06:15

On 5/30/04 at 10:36 AM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

1. How do we model the components and downstream interactions of srv1 and pc1:

      MTA

  +--<srv1>--+
  |          |
  | messages |
  |          |
  +----------+

      <pc1>

pc1 does not retain any messages. Repeated readings of the same message require repeated retrievals from srv1.

srv1 - MDA
messages - MS
pc1 - MUA
line between MTA and srv1 - SMTP
line between messages and pc1 - POP or IMAP or local access

This would make for an amazingly stupid POP client, a somewhat stupid IMAP client, and a use of a local access client that would piss-off some sys admins.

2. How do we model the components and downstream interactions of srv2 and pc2:

      MTA

  +--<srv1>--+
  |          |
  | messages |
  |          |
  +----------+

  +--<pc1>---+
  |          |
  | messages |
  |          |
  +----------+

Messages are retained on pc1 and not on srv1.

srv1 - MDA
messages under srv1 - MS
pc1 - MUA
messages under pc1 - MUA's local cache of messages (same for /bin/mail messages in ~/Mail, POP client's mailboxes, or IMAP client's cached data)
line between MTA and srv1 - SMTP
line between messages and pc1 - POP or IMAP or local access

These two implementations/configurations are not architecturally different.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102