Re: Spam Bounces - was What is Spam

2005-03-10 12:31:07

At 12:24 PM 3/10/2005 -0500, Bruce Lilly wrote:

On Wed March 9 2005 18:27, David MacQuigg wrote:

> I was trying to move the discussion away from "what is spam" ( Irrelevant
> question, in my opinion ) back to what to do with "Spam Bounces", assuming
> the subjective judgement has already been made by the user.

If a user has already seen the message, there is no "bounce" (a bounce
would be a transport-related notification).  A user *might* elect to
compose an entirely new message (e.g. to an abuse contact), but that
situation (new messages) is already covered in the architecture draft.

I think it is not a good idea to have users compose any message in response to a spam. Much better if they can just hit a "Reject as Spam" button, and know that the "Spam Bounce" will be handled promptly and correctly. Do we agree that Spam Bounces should not go to the Return-Path? Do we agree that reputable forwarders should want to receive these bounces?

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *