Re: (lack of) message header field ordering

2005-03-14 08:32:56

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Bruce Lilly wrote:

Four and a half years ago I looked in detail at 34 email transfer
products; several of them reordered or otherwise mangled message
header fields.  A certain breed of developer hears "name-value
pairs" and thinks "database"; unless pains are taken to preserve
ordering, a database approach results in (pseudo-)random
rearrangement of fields.

Anyone who uses such software will find it difficult to diagnose problems
and will suffer from less effective spam filtering until the software is
fixed. I don't think improvements to the specification should be held back
by idiot implementations.

Did you find out how widely deployed these manglers were and whether they
were usually installed as end-points or as relays?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
FAIR ISLE: NORTHWEST 4 OR 5 VEERING EAST THEN SOUTHEAST 5 OR 6. FAIR. GOOD.