Re: (lack of) message header field ordering

2005-03-15 12:16:37

----- Original Message -----
From: "David MacQuigg" <dmq(_at_)gain(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: (lack of) message header field ordering

This has been a very interesting discussion.  I didn't follow all the
details, but if I understand the bottom line, some MTAs do not follow the
common practice of only prepending new headers.  If these MTAs are rare on
the public part of the Internet, and are non-compliant with existing
standards in other ways, I would say ignoring them is OK.

David,  check this out:

220 mail6.velocitywest.com ESMTP
helo hdev1
250 mail6.velocitywest.com
mail from: <>
250 ok
rcpt to: <dmq(_at_)gain(_dot_)com>
250 ok
data
354 go ahead
hi there david! No RFC Header!
.
250 ok 1110911858 qp 17196

It accepted the data block with no RFC header?  How did your system handle
this? What is the standard to check for the header? and under what criteria?
Should we ignore your system based on your statement above?

These are rthetorical questions. No need to answer them. The fact is, most,
if not every, mail server behaves the same way.

Go from there.

PS: I didn't show it above, but at a minimum, your server should check for
MAIL FROM correct syntax. It accepted a typo address.  That alone will add
some security.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.