Re: Has the IETF dropped the ball?

2005-03-09 07:30:35

At 09:34 PM 3/8/2005 -0800, Carl S. Gutekunst wrote:

In short, MARID failed because a simple, non-controversial, and all-encompassing solution to Internet Mail Authentication does not seem to exist.

We don't need an "all-encompassing solution" to be a useful standard. SMTP doesn't encompass authentication, but it is still quite useful. I would *not* expect a shared authentication standard to encompass complex algorithms for extracting the purported responsible domain from a set of headers. I *would* expect it to encompass how the results of authenticating that domain are communicated downstream.

Can anyone give me an example of a requirement that must be included in a shared standard and cannot be written in a way that both sides could live with?

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD              * email:  dmq'at'gci-net.com   *  *
* IC Design Engineer               * phone:  USA 520-721-4583  *  *  *
* Analog Design Methodologies                                  *  *  *
*                                  * 9320 East Mikelyn Lane     * * *
* VRS Consulting, P.C.             * Tucson, Arizona 85710        *