Re: Has the IETF dropped the ball?

2005-03-09 10:33:26

----- Original Message -----
From: "David MacQuigg" <dmq(_at_)gain(_dot_)com>
To: "Carl S. Gutekunst" <csg(_at_)alameth(_dot_)org>
Cc: <ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: Has the IETF dropped the ball?

Can anyone give me an example of a requirement that must be included in a
shared standard and cannot be written in a way that both sides could live
with?

In my view, all the proposals inevitably have the same inherent problem:

    "how do deal with legacy and non-compliant SMTP clients."

SMTP compliancy issues must be addressed first before any of these proposal
even have a chance to work.  It will be extremely difficult to implement a
proposal that accepts/rejects a compliant sender yet at the same time you
still have the operate in the same mode for legacy and non-compliant
senders.

The solution to this seems to be two folds:

- A different set of policies
- Stronger Client/Server negotiation handshaking.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com