RE: Sender's Declaration of Identity

2005-05-16 20:00:10

I am intrigued by your proposal.

However, I don't see that it will wholly address the underlying
authentication problems.

Sometime back, I had raised the issue of having some type of authentication
method.

However, I believe that we really have to look at two separate
authentication points.

First, let us consider a local mail server receiving mail from a directly
connected remote client to whom is allocated a mailbox address on the
server.  In this scenario, I will argue that when the mail origination
authentication extension is enabled, the local mail server should verify
that the "From:" mail address specified in the message header for each
message submitted from the remote client to the local mail server is a valid
mail address allocated by the local mail server to that remote client (i.e.,
the remote client's mailbox address, or some other mail address which the
local mail server recognizes as properly associated with that remote
client).

Second, let us consider a local mail server receiving mail from a connected
remote mail server.  In this scenario, I will argue that when the mail
origination authentication extension is enabled, the local mail server
should be required to maintain a resident list of "trusted" remote mail
servers (i.e., remote mail servers who stipulate that they require that all
mail message traffic must comply with the requirements of the mail
origination authentication extension), and no SMTP session establishment to
a "non-trusted" remote mail server should be permitted.  The local mail
server need only maintain a list of remote mail servers from which it
receives mail message traffic directly.  Mail message traffic originating in
or routed through such remote mail servers should be permitted to flow
freely.

There may be some holes in this proposal.  Let me know what you think.

John P Baker
Software Engineer