Re: Sender's Declaration of Identity

2005-05-17 10:50:25

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Moore" <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
To: "Hector Santos" <hsantos(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com>
Cc: <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>; <david_macquigg(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>;
<ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: Sender's Declaration of Identity

1) No one is going to trust what a client says.   You need an "anchor"
that
he has basically no control of. Like the IP address.

no, not like the IP address, because in general IP address has nothing to
do with the sender's identity...

Keith,

I was implying some example "piece of information" that the SMTP client
itself can not easily change.   I agree,  IP is not the best example, but it
probably the best we have from a proof of concept and "anchor" example
today.  Ironically,  I did have it parenthically stated to make sure we
didn't get hung on it.  But I decided to remove it and crossed my finger
that there woudn't be any nick picking.

it will have even less to do with the sender's identity in the future
than it does now.

You and I seem to have similar crystal balls.

Glad to see you reading my mail again. :-)

http://www.santronics.com