Re: request discussion of two documents on SMTP relaying

2005-06-18 13:20:09

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:55:25 +0100, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:
I'd even go so far as to say we're going to continue to have massive amounts of spam as long as Windows is the dominant PC operating system.

I'm sorry, but that's just ridiculous. The only link between Windows and
spam is that lots of people have Windows, and it's relatively easy to use,
so lots of spammers use it. Lots of spammers also use Linux or Macs, you
just see less of that, because there are less of those systems in use by
the 'spammer' sort of person, but if that's all there was, that's what the
spammers would use.

That comment is like saying 'If Ford stopped making cars, there'd be less car accidents'.

The operating system is irrelevant. Don't try to turn this into a 'Gates
is a bad guy' argument!.. Whether he is or not is irrelevant to the
spamming issue!