Re: Bounce/System Notification Address Verification

2005-06-28 23:11:36

At 13:24 -0400 on 06/28/2005, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote about Re: Bounce/System Notification Address Verification:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:04:02 BST, Tony Finch said:
 On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

 > The first rule of any protocol is that it has to interoperate with itself.
> The fact that this design *is* prone to disastrous loops when it encounters > other CBV systems with similar design flaws shows that the concept is flawed.

You haven't demonstrated that Verizon's implementation is flawed in this way.

OK.. I spell it out in excruciating detail:

Verizon presents me with MAIL
FROM:<antispam579542(_at_)west(_dot_)verizon(_dot_)net>

I do a CBV on MAIL FROM, same as Verizon, and send them a connection that starts MAIL FROM:<notaspammer993435(_at_)example(_dot_)com> - they see that mail from, and do what?

Not CBV back I'd hope but just reply that antispam579542(_at_)west(_dot_)verizon(_dot_)net is valid and see what happens next (which SHOULD be a QUIT in this reverse CBV case).

[snip]

Also, absent a new, as-yet-unRFC'ed SMTP extension, the remote end can't just
assume that something is a CBV and ignore it - to do so would allow a spammer to send you a MAIL FROM/RCPT TO on a first connection, then once the callback shows up, use *that* information to create what looks like a "callback to a callback", but proceed to the DATA step. Whoops.. ;)

If the response to the "Its Valid" reply is anything other then a QUIT (ie: If the sender tries to go into Data State) then just drop the connection since the ONLY valid reply to the CBV check is a QUIT.