Re: BCP for handling DNS SERVFAIL results

2005-11-26 01:10:43

ned+ietf-smtp(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com writes:
But this doesn't mean that you should do this: Nothing prevents someone from having an MX for foo.example.com pointing to a completely separate mail.example.org while having a SMTP server running on foo.example.com that silently eats everything sent to it. And yes, such a setup would be stupid and dangerous, but people do stupid and dangerous things all the time.

I've seen this exact setup, in two varieties.

workstation15.example.com IN A 10.0.1.15
                          IN MX 0 smarthost.example.com.

Who knows what you might reach at 10.0.1.15?

The other variety has a proper IP addres for workstation15, and workstation15 runs a vendor-standard SMTP server, delivering to somewhere that noone ever reads.

I agree with Ned: Don't fall back to A unless you know there's no MX.

Arnt