Re: BCP for handling DNS SERVFAIL results

2005-11-26 17:50:43
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:03:18 PST, SM said:

Hi Arnt,
At 23:48 25-11-2005, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
I agree with Ned: Don't fall back to A unless you know there's no MX.

According to the RFC, you should fall back to A if there is no
MX.  There is no reliable way to tell that there should be a MX and
we should not fall back.

I think Arnt's meaning was "If you get a SERVFAIL trying to get the MX,
then you *don't* know there's no MX, so dropping back to an A is improper.
The message should be queued and retried later".