Re: BCP for handling DNS SERVFAIL results

2005-11-27 15:51:08

Interesting,

Yes and no. No, I wasn't aware of this specific SendMail implementation
"kludge" to accommodate a flawed behavior. But yes, I guess it was done
because the author (greg?) realized the environment of various bozo types
(from admins, to buggy DNS servers) was prevalent.

We all (authors) have to do this like we don't like, thats the nature of the
game.

In this case, I wasn't aware of a history of DNS servers having some form or
another problem with SERVFAIL responses. So this was fixed now that I found
out the cause and solution.

I don't think it is 100% related to having a bad setup, although that is
what I initially thought was the case here.

db.usinterlink.com has a A record, no MX record.  the usinterlink.com
authoritive server was passing info to my DNS server, which it didn't handle
right.  I'm not a DNS admin so I can't tell you 100% if this domain is setup
wrong, other than the fact it has no MX record.

I can see an specific implementation option, not a recommendation for BCP,
called "BozoServerFailChecks"  which might work like this:

  1) Perform all query checks as normal, using SERVFAIL to move to next
     server list.

  2) Maybe after all retry attempts, try the A record atleast once to
     close the deal or follow the option setting:

      BozoServerFailChecks -1  ; final deal
      BozoServerFailChecks  2  ; Try A record after 2 retries
      BozoServerFailChecks  0  ; Off, DEFAULT

http://www.santronics.com