Re: show of hands: which per-recipient data reply proposal?

2007-02-06 13:31:36
On 2007-02-06 10:49:59 -0800, Claus Assmann wrote:
* Client initiates by sending MAIL with an extension.
* RCPT returns normal reply codes (no 3yz)
* DATA and the last BDAT return (in order):
  1. 353 to indicate the start of server responses
    1.a. possible optimization: a single {2,4,5}yz reply code
         to indicate the overall transaction status in
         which case the next two steps are skipped.
  2. one reply code per recipient which got a 2yz reply.
  3. one end of mail reply code (as in the current ESMTP model,
    which is the same as the "final" reply code in
    draft-hall-deferrals).

So we still have to decide between:

(I) get rid of step 1.: 353 (and increase the timeout to the
    first deferred RCPT response),
(II) or use 353 with the optimization 1.a.

Here's my vote: (II).

(II)++.

I notice that the optimization is just normal SMTP.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | I know I'd be respectful of a pirate
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | with an emu on his shoulder.