Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 17: all contination lines must use same code

2007-04-10 10:45:00

Tony Finch wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Tony Hansen wrote:
I think that the real reason it worked with most clients is that it was
*not* a 2yz/3yz/4yz/5yz code, putting them into the "punt" category, and
then they looked at the last line to determine the actual code to
believe.

Actually I think the clients that were tested ignore all codes except the
last of a multiline reply so were oblivious to the use of 1yz. No
deliberate decision to punt.

The OPES team looked long and hard for a way to break out of the timeout
situation and the "150-" situation really was the best solution to get
proposed, and it actually seemed to work with current existing servers.

Sendmail and Exim will treat 1yz-... as an error.

I'm curious as to why. Is it because it assumes each line is the same? Or it specifically looks for 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, 5xx?

The specs does suggest to ignore all preceding lines:

   In many cases the SMTP client then simply needs to search for a line
   beginning with the reply code followed by <SP> or <CRLF> and ignore
   all preceding lines.

--
HLS