Re: RFC2821bis-02 Issue 22: Requiring removal of extra return-path headers in 4.4

2007-04-22 16:01:52

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> John C Klensin wrote:
>
>> Hi.  Issue 22 assigned to this.
>
> Any procedure resulting in precisely one Return-Path created by
> the final delivery MTA is IMO fine.  Can you please smuggle in
> an informative reference to RFC 3834 to stress this point ?

Not sure I follow, and you are now upsetting me. This changes CODE!!! My code!! What does this have to to with SMTP? Are you asking that we have to now massage and clean up the headers?

Traditionally, the only time we add the Return-Path in the header at reception and for passthru mail (not local) and its not required once the delivery status has been determined and since we do a dynamic SMTP validation, it isn't necessary beyond that point.

If RFC 3834 requires it, thats fine. But you don't need 3834 to create bounces.

--
HLS