Re: rfc2821bis-01 Issue 18: Usability of 1yz replies

2007-04-23 16:18:09

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, John C Klensin wrote:
Assuming that, by "the suggestion below", you meant

   Reply-line     = *( Reply-code "-" [ text ] CRLF ) /
                  Reply-code [ SP text ] CRLF

Uh, what's that "/" doing there?  Shouldn't it just read:

    Reply-line     = *( Reply-code "-" [ text ] CRLF )
                   Reply-code [ SP text ] CRLF

("zero or more continuation lines, followed by a non-continuation line")

I would also tend to just call that "Reply" instead of "Reply-line", given that it can be multiple lines.

(I'm not trying to start the ABNF bashing early, but better to avoid errors as close to when they occur...)

Philip Guenther