Re: Question related to draft-hansen-4468upd-mailesc-registry-02.txt and RFC3463

2007-08-06 10:34:11

Hi Jeff,
At 08:22 06-08-2007, Jeff Macdonald wrote:
I've viewed policy as something that is site specific. Therefore it
makes sense that policy is configurable by an administrator. At least
that is the case for me. I use a MTA with a custom sieve
implementation.

Policy is site specific. It's not obvious to fit them within predefined codes especially when we are dealing with with rejection based on content inspection. Receivers may not wish to provide too many details about the rejection as that information may be misused by some senders.

One of the advantages of fine-grained codes for content rejection is that it is easier for senders to determine why the mail did not go through, e.g. malware in message, attachments prohibited for this email address.

Regards,
-sm