Fixing Greylist - Its usage of 451 vs 450

2007-11-17 23:00:41

Hi SM,

All I am stating is, if 451 is presumed incorrect (wrt to GL) for literal reasons, then so would be the others as well for literal reasons.

However, I believe you are saying the exception to the literal reason rule would be the "catch all" 450 response code when the reject reasons does not fit 451 or 452 because those two codes are deemed sacred for those two "finer" specific server rejection literal reasons only.

If so, then, you're right. :-)

But I can see why maybe the GL author probably chose 451:

 - The RFC prohibits creating new reply codes,

 - Not all systems support extended codes, making it harder to
   justify using 450,

 - 450 and 452 have more specific reasons one can relate to,

 - 451 has an "open ended" non-specific interpretation,

 - 451 seems to be reserved for the server admission that
   it just experienced a backend server problem but it is
   deemed to be temporary, i.e, its not the sender's fault,
   therefore it should try again,

 - Maybe 451 "Error In Processing" is what he wanted to
   tell the bad guy what is going on, because the good guy
   system is going to try again, so no problem.

But who knows? :-)

--
HLS

SM wrote: