Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

2008-03-26 16:32:06

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> wrote:

We, the IETF, have failed them by not providing
them with a clear mechanism to do what they want without bad
side effects.

   I well remember DNS gurus trying to deprecate the use of "."
wherever it might lead to queries to root servers for "." Is
this no longer an issue?

        SRV say to use "." for "no service".
        RP say to use  "." for "does not exist".

        There are already queries for A and AAAA queries for ".".
        Codifing the use of "MX 0 ." will, in the long run, reduce
        the number of such queries as MTA's get updated.

        The roots can handle the query load in the mean time.

   I'm very confused that Bill Manning seems to be calling for

*    MX    .

        I think you mean "* MX 0 ." and Bill was not saying that.
        Bill knows that a wildcard record will not have the desired
        effect.  Adding a "MX 0 ." record along side a existing
        record will have the desired effect.

It will be needed even *after* IPv6 takes over.  There will
be lots of queries for A records long after the majority
of hosts don't have A records.

We need to remove the implict MX from A to prevent the A
record lookups occuring as things currently stand.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org