Re: How to mark domains that do / do not wish to receive email

2008-03-27 06:01:05

Mark Andrews wrote:

It was more "the only way to prevent the A lookups is
to remove the fallback".

If we ever head down this path there would need to be
years of advance notice.

My € 0,02:  There is no direct way to get rid of the old
A-fallback, 2821bis can say "please" in a note, maybe an
additional BCP could go as far as SHOULD, and that is it.

Indirectly the great master plan AFAIK is that IPv4 will
die, and without IPv4 the A-fallback also dies.  So what
we now have to decide is if we want an AAAA-fallback for
IPv6, or if we have a chance to kill this AAAA-fallback.

Any "mail opt-out" alternatives like "v=spf1 -all" or
the nullmx draft are odd if the great master plan is to
have names and IPv6 addresses for "everything", notably
billions of things never intending to send or receive
mail.

A "mail opt-in" for IPv6, where only names with an MX
are interested in mail, would be more straight forward.

The "opt-out" alternatives can play a role while IPv4
still exists.  But they would be an ugly kludge for the
brave new IPv6 world.

 Frank