Re: current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

2008-04-03 15:32:45

Before we can put the issue of AAAA implicit MX to bed, we need to get
an answer to the question of how much AAAA implicit MX is already being
used in the real world.

It's been postulated that the current deployment of this and its use is
low. However, RFC 3974 (SMTP Operational Experience in Mixed IPv4/v6
Environments), was published three years ago, and it mandates AAAA
implicit MX (as much as an informational document can mandate anything).

So I'm looking for information from people who are currently working in
the IPv6-based email world.

I'm assuming that a number of email sites over in Asia are already
IPv6-enabled, and there are probably other enclaves as well. So I'm
looking for information on actual email deployment and sites.

I'm looking for help answering these questions:

   *  How are existing IPv6-enabled mail sites actually dealing with
      missing MX records?

   *  Are the IPv6-enabled email sites mostly following the
      recommendations found in RFC 3974?

   *  How widespread is the use of implicit MX with AAAA records? That
      is, how prevalent are email sites that do not have MX records
      but do have AAAA records?

        With or without a A record?

        AAAA only is very different to A+AAAA where there definitely
        is a implict MX.

   *  How big is the existing IPv6-enabled email world?

   *  What problems, if any, has been experienced by following RFC
      3974?

Also, who else could I send this message to in order to gain additional
insights?

Thank you!

     Tony Hansen
     "shepherd for 2821bis"
     tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org