Re: current usage of AAAA implicit MX?

2008-04-04 05:03:18

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, Tony Hansen wrote:

I'm looking for help answering these questions:

   *  How are existing IPv6-enabled mail sites actually dealing with
      missing MX records?

   *  Are the IPv6-enabled email sites mostly following the
      recommendations found in RFC 3974?

   *  How widespread is the use of implicit MX with AAAA records? That
      is, how prevalent are email sites that do not have MX records
      but do have AAAA records?

   *  How big is the existing IPv6-enabled email world?

   *  What problems, if any, has been experienced by following RFC
      3974?

From my standpoint of view, the existing IPv6-enabled email world is
really small.

At the moment we are in the transition to dual-stack MTAs. Therefore I
have only data about some of our domains which are reachable by IPv6 from
the Internet. We do not send emails via IPv6 to the Internet.

- number of MTAs from which we accepted emails over IPv6: 255
- number of MTAs in addition to above, from which we rejected emails: 303
  (mainly backscatter DSNs to unknown recipients)
- number of MTAs from which we accepted emails over IPv4: 44793

The MTAs, from which the data comes, are responsible for a major part of
the Munich Scientific Network with 4 universities and several colleges and
scientific institutions.

Statistics by top level domain of reverse mapping:

- accepted MTAs over IPv6 (25)

       2 arpa       2   at       5   ch       2  com       1   cz      42   de
       2  edu       1   es       1   fi      22   fr       3   gr       1   hr
       3   hu       1   id       1   ie      19  net       4   nl       4   no
       9  org       1   pl       2   pt       2   se       1   si       3   uk
     121  n/a

- additional rejected IPv6-MTAs (28)

       1 arpa       1   at       3   bg       4   ch       5  com       2   cz
      16   de       3   dk       1   eu       3   fi       8   fr       1   gr
       2   hu       1   id       4   it      15   jp       1   lt       2   my
      52  net       8   nl       2   no      11  org       1   pt       3   se
       1   to       1   tv       3   uk     103  n/a

- accepted MTAs over IPv4 (164)

      33   ac       6   ad      25   ae       2 aero      13   ag       2   al
       3   am     126   ar       2 arpa     696   at     254   au       1   aw
       1   az       5   ba     149   be      41   bg       2   bh      87  biz
       1   bm       2   bo     241   br       2   bt       1   bw       8   by
       3   bz     217   ca       3  cat      43   cc     516   ch      32   cl
      72   cn      29   co   14836  com       2 coop       4   cr       8   cu
       2   cx      11   cy     212   cz   11486   de     143   dk       3   do
       5   ec    1149  edu      19   ee       4   eg     224   es       1   et
     150   eu      82   fi       1   fj       2   fm     509   fr       5   ge
       1   gg       1   gh       2   gi       1   gl      92  gov     135   gr
       1   gs      35   hk       3   hm      29   hr     149   hu      13   id
      53   ie     102   il       1   im      48   in     597 info      19  int
       6   ir      11   is     819   it       4   jo     549   jp       8   ke
       2   kh      39   kr       1   kw       8   kz       6   lb      12   li
       6   lk      40   lt      21   lu      22   lv      12   ma       6   mc
       8   md       1   mg      12  mil       3   mk       1   mn       1   mo
       1 mobi       1   mr       5   ms       1   mt       1   mv      57   mx
      11   my       3   mz       3   na       4 name       2   nc    5929  net
     474   nl      69   no       4   np      14   nu      64   nz       1   om
     895  org       1   pa      14   pe       1   pg       8   ph      18   pk
     315   pl       2   ps     119   pt       4   py       2   qa      65   ro
       4   rs     458   ru       5   sa       1   sc     182   se      52   sg
       3   sh      25   si      59   sk       1   sm       2   sn       1   st
      11   su       1   sv       3   sy       1   sz       6   tc      32   th
       2   tk      10   tn       7   to      58   tr      23   tv     120   tw
       2   tz      71   ua       1   ug     619   uk     436  n/a      32   us
       9   uy       2   va       7   ve       6   vn       1   vu       8   ws
      21   yu      67   za

I hope this helps and is not to much data.

Michael Storz