Re: Existing email address meta-syntax standards, especially GSTN

2008-05-21 19:03:43

On May 21, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Folks,

It is worth mentioning that there already are mutliple meta-syntax standards for email local-part strings.

While I have a vague memory of there being more than two, the ones I know about in detail are:

 RFC 3191, Minimal GSTN address format in Internet Mail

RFC 3340,1,3 apex=

RFC 3191 [/] SMS= (example)
RFC 3192 FAX=
RFC 3804 VPIM=, VOICE=, AMIS=

 RFC 3801, Voice Profile for Internet Mail - version 2 (VPIMv2)

???

http://cr.yp.to/proto/verp.txt

Where "=" replaces "@" for local-part cascaded addresses.

list-lp"-"subscrib-lp"="subscrib-dom(_at_)list-dom

This means verp overlaps with "tag=" convention.

FWIW:

http://www.openspf.org/SRS

(original paper used "#" instead of "=" and example uses "+")

http://www.libsrs2.org/srs/srs.pdf
SRS0=
SRS1=

Please note that the BATV proposal seems to be compatible with RFC3191, in terms of having a registered string followed by an equal sign.

Hmmm.

Perhaps this means we do not need to define a new registry, but merely add values to the IANA GSTN Service-Selector table?

Why create a new table if we don't have to?

For that matter, why debate about a new syntax if we don't have to?...

Agreed. There is at least some experience in adding meta information using the "=".

-Doug