Re: 2821bis/ter and procedures (was: Re: retry question)

2008-08-08 23:22:57

Paul Smith wrote:

Why or why not?

Because the 554 could mean either that the message as a whole is unacceptable
or merely that no recipients were accepted.

I'd agree with this. The 554 means that the message wasn't allowed for recipients a and b. It doesn't say anything about how it would be handled for recipient c

What I missing here? Every document from 821, 1123, 2821 and 2821bis all make it perfectly clear acceptance for delivery begin only with and only with a positive DATA reply code and nothing else.

The DATA 554 response means no one will get the message and it also means that it should not try again to send this exact payload.

I see nothing in any document that tries to create or imply a mixed bag of delivery and/or retry results between DATA and REPLY codes.

What if the 554 were a 450?

Makes no difference.

Big big difference.  The docs since 821 all support this.

DATA reply code:

    55x  --> permanent DATA rejection for all. No delivery is
             expected for any one.

    45x  --> temporary DATA rejection for all. No delivery is
             expected for any one.  However, the sender MAY
             try to send this same PAYLOAD at later time.

    250  --> Delivery can only begin with a 250 DATA response.
             The RCPT reply codes WHO will get it - 250 only.

             Sender may try to retry 450 RCPT reply codes at
             some later point, but thats all up to the sender.

Where is all this changing to 25+ year old state machine coming from?

What am I not getting? Come on, throw me a bone here. Is there a new spec some where that says otherwise?

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com