Re: retry question

2008-08-09 07:15:55

Hector Santos wrote:

                              DATA
        |        |   250     |   45x      |    55x     |
        |--------+-----------+------------+------------|
        | 250    | DELIVER   |  MAY RETRY |  NO RETRY  |
  RCPT  |--------+-----------+------------+------------|
        | 45x    | MAY RETRY |  MAY RETRY |  NO RETRY  |
        |--------+-----------+------------+------------|
        | 55x    | NO RETRY  |  NO RETRY  |  NO RETRY  |

If somebody writes a "retry clarification" draft *and* the
proposal goes in this direction, please copy Hector's ASCII
art.

SM's proposal is different:  The second cell in the third
column could be "MAY RETRY" if there was another recipient
causing the DATA 5xx ...and if I understood it correctly.

SM's idea needs more rows to reflect eight scenarios of
"mixed" RCPT outcomes.  It could be something like this:

          DATA 2xx   DATA 4xx   DATA 5xx   comment

 no rcpt  -/-        -/-        -/-        no data

only 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected

only 4xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        try again

only 5xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        rejected

some 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected
 and 4xx  try again  try again  TRY AGAIN  <==

some 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected
 and 5xx  rejected   rejected   rejected

some 4xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        try again
 and 5xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        rejected

some 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected
 and 4xx  try again  try again  TRY AGAIN  <==
 and 5xx  rejected   rejected   rejected

The upper-case TRY AGAIN cells are the cases where
Hector would write "rejected".

 Frank