Re: retry question

2008-08-09 17:11:07

At 06:51 AM 8/9/2008, Frank Ellermann wrote:
If somebody writes a "retry clarification" draft *and* the
proposal goes in this direction, please copy Hector's ASCII
art.

I would prefer not to use that as it may be misinterpreted.

SM's proposal is different:  The second cell in the third
column could be "MAY RETRY" if there was another recipient
causing the DATA 5xx ...and if I understood it correctly.

Yes.

SM's idea needs more rows to reflect eight scenarios of
"mixed" RCPT outcomes.  It could be something like this:

I was answering the question. I am not suggesting any changes to the specifications at this stage.

          DATA 2xx   DATA 4xx   DATA 5xx   comment

 no rcpt  -/-        -/-        -/-        no data

only 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected

only 4xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        try again

only 5xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        rejected

some 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected
 and 4xx  try again  try again  TRY AGAIN  <==

some 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected
 and 5xx  rejected   rejected   rejected

some 4xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        try again
 and 5xx  -/-        -/-        -/-        rejected

some 2xx  accepted   try again  rejected
 and 4xx  try again  try again  TRY AGAIN  <==
 and 5xx  rejected   rejected   rejected

The upper-case TRY AGAIN cells are the cases where
Hector would write "rejected".

If we are going to draw scenarios, then we have to look into the actual retry codes being returned. We also have to understand the flow of events instead of simplifying an elaborate document with a chart.

Regards,
-sm