Re: Q: English terms for forwarded addresses

2008-11-03 12:12:25

Tony Finch wrote:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

Assume a forwarding recipe directs the MX server of example.com to
forward all messages destined to alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com to
bob(_at_)example(_dot_)org(_dot_)
[...] I often read the term "forwarded address" for
alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)
Then, what is the correct term for its counterpart bob(_at_)example(_dot_)org?

I would say alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com is an alias, and
bob(_at_)example(_dot_)org is the
target of the alias. See sections 3.5 and 3.9 of RFC 5321 for examples.

Thanks, "target" is clearly the world I've been looking for :-)

However, I'm puzzled as to whether you meant something by resorting to "alias" even when the envelope sender changes... sect. 3.5 says the distinction between mailing list and aliases is fuzzy, and sect. 3.9.2 implies "redistribution" != "forwarding", but also "handling aliases" != "forwarding". In facts, "forwarding" is commonly used for the action started by hitting a MUA's forward button, which should result in a new message...

Did you mean that "forwarding" is bound to be a fuzzy (non-technical) term in SMTP?